Science Week is Discover Science's largest outreach event and the country’s largest science festival. In 2012 more than 500 events took place with over 100k people participating. It has been running for approximately 10 year and takes place in November. While the festival dates are one week, typically events run over a two-three week period, beginning in the week before the official dates.
- To provide a central information hub for the event listing of the festival. A faceted navigation allows users reach targeted results.
- 4 specific users groups were identified and catered for by use of a mega menu to subdivide the information.
- Event listed are housed in concertina folds to facilitate fast browsing and minimise clicks.
- The sign up and event posting process has a carefully considered user experience flow. Many of the target groups have a low user ability level which had to be factored in.
- A wealth of teacher student and media resources including competitions, class activities and roadshows.
- A social media and sharing hub is housed on the homepage to actively show and encourage participation.
- The photo gallery pulls live feed from Flkr and the video from Youtube. This massively increased user interaction with the site and centralised the events media's.
One of the key objectives of this website concept is to promote the new Science Week brand image. I achieved this through a bright, engaging, contemporary website design. The logo tone is carried throughout the treatment to enforce the brand identity. A palette of clean white and shades of grey are interjected with a punchy mix of bold playful colour. The bright colours are used strategically to encourage user engagement and interaction. The look and feel subtly takes cues from Science such as the graph paper background. The website is vibrant, fresh and user-friendly.
I was responsible for the planning, visual web design, user experience and project management of the design portion of the project. I also designed the home page responsive layout, Facebook landing page and newsletter template. I was the sole designer on Science week with studio art direction. I worked closely with the developers and SEO team. Site designed while working for Dara Creative
Went live 2012
Go have a look http://www.scienceweek.ie/
The website is tendered every year Dara creative were not sucefull in 2013 but the design currently remains unchanged